Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

A Cooking Mishap

Weather you cook with a passion for cooking or cook because it is one of the daily chores, we do come across cooking mishap at least once. Reason for the mishap could be anything from misinterpreting the instructions in the recipe or recipe itself has missed few ‘obvious’ or ‘default’ steps of cooking which are not so obvious or default for the beginners in the cooking.

With numerous recipes by cuisines over the net, I am sure people do stumble upon making a blunder and end up either laughing at outcome or cursing about the time and work that has been wasted on the recipe.

Corn vada (Mokkajonna Vada ) was one of my favorite snack in India. I like the hot and spicy food compared to the sweets.The most bizarre part of this recipe is taking the seeds off the kernels. It is a time consuming process but all the effort is worth while for those delicious vadas.

After coming to US, I saw frozen corn seeds. Seeds removed from kernels, processed and ready to cook. I was excited because it took off the time consuming step of peeling the seeds off. So, I got them and blended them with ginger, garlic and green chilies…. the regular ingredients.

The blended paste dint look like how it supposed to look. Nevertheless I convinced my mind that, it is alright since all it matters is the taste. I heated oil in the pan and started dropping the batter into it. I could not make the shape of the vada with the batter as it was too soft. So, I went ahead and dropped the batter as round balls with the spatula. The batter was breaking in the oil which it was not supposed to. Then I was little suspicious that there might be a mishap on the way.

After frying the first batch of vadas or balls, I have put one of it in my mouth with imaging the authentic corn vada taste… as salty, spicy and with little crunchy. To my surprise…it tasted too SWEET :(. I dint read the bold letters on the package ‘Sweet Corn’. :(

That was my last attempt of making corn vadas. Though I am not very passionate for cooking, I do try new and old recipes from the family, friends and of course from cyber. Nothing yet has disappointed me as Corn Vadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment